Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Crossing the Mississippi River

I like to go on road trips in the car and whenever I cross over the Mississippi River I like to look at it and try to take a picture or 20 of it as I cross especially if I'm not driving. I recently went on a trip and so I had to cross it twice going and coming back on I-20.
Here's the floodplain and you can see its pretty flat but good for growing crops. 
 Heading east and seeing the signs for the bridge.
The actual sign over the bridge I wasn't quite fast enough in taking it.
The I-20 bridge with the railroad bridge right next to it.
 You can barely see the sign for the Mississippi River since the vegetation is so thick.
This was taken on 9-27-2013 and I was surprised to see how low the river was.  The week before there was massive flooding in Colorado and I was expecting to see the river up since the Mississippi is the drainage system for the area that was effective by the flooding.  The trouble with taking pictures its hard to get one without the bridge girders in the way.
Western bank of the Mississippi River from I-20 LA. (9-27-2013)

The Mississippi River looking south from I-20 (9-27-2013)
We did see a boat on it and I tried to get a shot of it but it was too fast.
We were off of it before I knew it. 
We came back through on Oct 2, 2013.  This time we were heading west but still was on I-20. 
o
This is the two bridges from the Mississippi state side.


This time I was looking North as we crossed it.  One of the things you notice most is the riverboat that is dock there. 
 you can see the water is still down but it did not appear to be as low as it was the Friday before.

The next thing you can't help to notice is the railroad bridge.  I always thought the way it was built was interesting.
This was the only good shot of the South side and were you could see both banks at the same time.
I wanted to get a picture of the Louisiana State line but again I wasn't fast enough with it.
This one you can see the western bank and again the water is low. And since you can see the dark edge it looks like it was even lower than when we were there on Friday and that surprised me since on the other side it didn't look like it was that low.
Another shot of how low the river was.  I liked this one because of the different angles in it with the bridges.
Here's the floodplain in Louisiana again.  You can see its just a massive field of goldenrod and I wonder why my sinuses are acting up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment