Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Norton Art Gallery 2012 edition

Every year I like to go to the Norton Art Gallery to see the azaleas in bloom.  This year was no exception.  (I know these are late in posting but I've been sooo busy with other things  that this is the first chance I've had to get around to finishing it and getting it out  Having computer problems hasn't helped at all and for awhile I was hesitant about posting things.  Now that I feel I've gotten things straighten out I don't mind posting things that have been on the back burner for awhile.)  
I wrote about it last year here @ R W Norton Art Gallery.
And here's some of the pictures  I this year.
Azaleas blooming at the Norton Art Gallery 
Norton Art Gallery backside of it with the azaleas
 


While I'm there I like to look and see if there are any new acquisitions that the place has gotten.

 I notice this new one and went looking for its name
"Ring of Bright Water (Otters)" by Kent Ullberg@ Norton Art Gallery
 This is what the Norton Art Gallery has to say about it.
'
"Ring of Bright Water (Otters)" by Kent Ullberg
Kent Ullberg states in a 1985 article from Southwest Art: An artist needs to reflect his environment and the concerns of his time...Artistic images from nature, for instance, in this day of ecology and concern about the environment are very much a statement of our time and could also make an artistic statement to generations to come. He believes that sculpting in a realistic style makes his work accessible to everyone and communicates a universal language of art when using public space for [his] work. The darling sea otters he has sculpted in Ring of Bright Water not only exude the hallmark playfulness of these clowns of the sea, but also calls attention to these endangered animals plight.'

"Ring of Bright Water (Otters)" by Kent Ullberg@ Norton Art Gallery
 I must admit I really liked this piece.  I thought it captured the way otters are so playful.  I thought that the piece was set in a perfect location to bring out its beauty while enjoying the surrounding beauty around it.
"Ring of Bright Water (Otters)" by Kent Ullberg @ Norton Art Gallery
 Some different views of it
"Ring of Bright Water (Otters)" by Kent Ullberg @ Norton Art Gallery

"Ring of Bright Water (Otters)" by Kent Ullberg@ Norton Art Gallery
 There were other pieces mention that are there but I didn't notice except this one.  "Waiting for Sockeye'
The name plat for the Waiting for Sockeye sculpture
Waiting for Sockeye by Ken Ullberg @ Norton Art Gallery
 
Again I liked this piece because you come upon it so unexpectedly and you can just imagine a bear sitting there waiting for his Sockeye.  I must admit the more of Ken Ullberg I see the more I like his works.  Heres what the Norton Art Gallery has to say about this restful piece.  
"Waiting for Sockeye (Grizzly Bear)" by Ken Ullberg
While Ullberg has done hundreds of works on a small scale, he is perhaps best known for his monumental works he has done for museums and municipalities from Omaha, Nebraska to Cape Town, South Africa. His Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Omaha, Nebraska installations are the largest wildlife bronze compositions ever done, spanning several city blocks.

    Pretty nondescript of the actual piece.  I thought they could come up with something better than that.
Here's some other views of it.  
Waiting for Sockeye by Ken Ullberg @ Norton Art Gallery
 (the thing I love about sculptures is you can walk around them and get totally different perspectives on the same piece just by the angle in which you are viewing it.)
Waiting for Sockeye by Ken Ullberg @ Norton Art Gallery

The thing I must ask you if you came upon this in the wilderness wouldn't you do a double take? Wouldn't you start backing up and not suspect this as a piece of art work?  That's what my reaction was the first time I saw this. 
Waiting for Sockeye by Ken Ullberg @ Norton Art Gallery

 I muse: I wonder what they will acquire this year so I can see it the next time I come?

No comments:

Post a Comment