Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dream Trip Spain: pt 2 Gibraltar by sea

There were so many pictures of Gibraltar I've decided to break them into sections.

This post is going to be all about looking at the Rock from all different angles. The Rock of Gibraltar is a peninsula. To the north is the landmass that connects it to Spain.  To the east is the Mediterranean Sea. To the South is the Strait of Gibraltar. And to the west is the Bay of Gibraltar.

This is the first sight you get of it from viewing it from Spain looking south.  This is a Northeastern view of the Rock .
Rock of Gibraltar as seen from Spain
This is the view you get as you enter into Gibraltar. This would be the northern exposure.
North side as you enter from Spain
 This is what it looks like when you are on the southern tip (Europa Point)  looking north.
South Side from Europa Point
 This was on the Western flank looking down into the Bay of Gibraltar with Spain being in the background.
West side looking into the Bay of Gibraltar
This was on the western flank looking northward.
Westside looking northward into the Bay of Gibraltar
These are the common views you see if you just stayed on the land.  But we didn't just stayed on the land.
   The group I was with was split into two different groups.  Those that wanted a tour of the island and those that just wanted to shop.  My husband and I signed up for the tour - we're not big shoppers.  Those that opted for shopping traveled to the rock by yachts and those of us on the tour got there by a coach bus.  After we had lunch we were able to shop for a little bit so we did get that in too.  When it was time to go the shoppers got to stay longer and take the coach bus back, the tourist took the yachts back.  And here's what we got to see:

We were taken to the public docks in the Bay of Gibraltar at the Marina bay - Ocean Village area.
Marina Bay, Gibraltar
The yacht was called the Princess Gillianann.  It had four bedrooms and felt like it was bigger than my home that I live in.  Needless to say it was quite luxurious.
The Princess Gillianann
 It even came with its own jet skies but we were not allowed to use them.
Princess Gillinann
 Here's someone checking out the living area.
inside the princess yacht
 And it even came with its own private bar complete with beer and wine.  We asked who owned this yacht and found out a guy has a business that owns three of them and he just rents them out all the time.  When he doesn't rent them then he uses them for his own pleasure but apparently that doesn't happen very often.  They are unusually booked way in advance.  They wouldn't tell us how much they cost but we were told they're not cheap.  (I thought that was quite obvious and didn't need to have been said.)
the bar on board the princess Gilliann
 As nice as all of this as it was, I just wasn't into it as I was into seeing the Rock.  So I spent just about all of my time upsides enjoying the incredible view.

So this is what the western bay side looks like.  
Bay of Gibraltar, western side of the Rock
 You can't see it from here but they say that every year they continually expand the port area out into the bay.  It takes a couple of years for them to add a couple of feet because they have to let things settle down before they can built on it.  Most of the building material comes from the rock itself seeing as how they have made extensive tunnels throughout it.
Western side of the rock on the Bay of Gibraltar  
Because it is used as a fortress there is a completely self sustaining city within the tunnels that can generate its own electricity and water.  In fact the island makes all of its own drinking water by a desalinization process.
This picture shows the waste water being emptied into the sea.  
Water from the waterworks facility
 You barely notice it from the sea.
Bay of Gibraltar, western side of the Rock
 Because of its being part of Great Britain  it is a popular cruise ship destination. At the time there were 3 ships in port.
Cruise ships in port - bay of Gibraltar
 I was amazed at the ships that were being moved around.  Here is a barge being moved by a tug boat.
Bay of Gibraltar
 I thought the tug boat was cute and took its picture.  When my boys were little there was a story about a tug boat that I had to read over and over again - this reminded me of those times.
Tug boat in the Bay of Gibraltar
 Another view of the western side.  To the right is a line going up the rock - this is a cable car system that is very popular.  We didn't have enough time to ride it to the top.  I'm sure it would be a ride you would never forget.
Bay of Gibraltar, western side of the Rock
  We approached the southern tip. Looking due north this is what you see. As I saw this I thought if ever I need an example to show strike and dip, this area is perfect for it. Just Look at the strike and dip of this rock!
Strait of Gibraltar, Southern side of the Rock
 Now we are in the Strait of Gibraltar. You can see Europa Point and the lighthouse
Southern side of the rock showing Europa Point, Strait of Gibraltar
 Now we were due south of the rock.
The lighthouse on the Rock of Gibraltar
 If you look closely you can see the water change color a little bit near the point.  It was hard to get a picture of it but if you really looked you could see a difference from the Strait water verses the Mediterranean sea water.
The Strait of Gibraltar, Southern side of the rock
 We had rounded the point and were now in the Mediterranean Sea facing the eastern point. On the left side of the picture you can see the steeple of the Mosque.
Strait of Gibraltar merging with the Mediterranean Sea

 This was the cement manufacturing plant.
Eastern side as you just enter into the Mediterranean Sea
 Another view of the eastern side of the Rock.
East Side
The eastern side of the Rock.  Just look at those caves in the side of it!  This is near the highest point of the Rock.  Which is O'Harras battary. Its 426 meters (1,398 ft) high.
Eastern side of Gibraltar
 We weren't the only ones out having some fun. Again you can see those caves.  I could just imagine all the different activities that have gone on in these caves through the years.  They even found Neanderthal skulls in them. This area was also called the Pillars_of_Hercules.  I can just imagine his ship being blown off course and him taking refuge in these caves. 
Caves in the eastern side of the Rock of Gibraltar
A different angle to those caves.
Eastern side of the Rock of Gibraltar, caves
 Isn't this rock amazing???
Eastern side of the Rock of Gibraltar
 This area is know as the sandy bay area
Sandy Bay area of the Rock of Gibraltar
East side of the Rock of Gibraltar
East Side of the Rock of Gibraltar
Northeast side of the Rock and the Eastern beach
My husband and I sitting back and enjoying the ride.
I thought this was picturesque the sail boat in front of the Northern side.
Northside of the Rock of Gibraltar as seen from the Mediterranean Sea
The sailboat sailed on and here's another view without it.  I can see why its call the Pillar of Hercules.  It is so massive and big.
 It was hard to believe we were back to the airport again and seeing it from the sea side. 
Northside of the Rock of Gibraltar
It was fun just sitting back and relaxing and watch it fade away.
The Rock of Gibraltar as seen from the Mediterranean Sea
The Rock of Gibraltar and Africa
 As we watch it fade away it was also fun to watch all the activity on the Sea in this area.
  I was going for the sea gull but was also interested in all of the ships.
Shipping in the Mediterranean Sea
As we were heading back we had a pod of dolphins swim by us headed toward the Strait.  It was pretty exciting to see.
Dolphins swimming off the coast of Spain in the Costa Del Sol region.
 Eventually every good thing has to come to an end and so did our trip to Gibraltar.  We pulled into port of Puerto Sotogrande.
Puerto Sotogrande
I thought this sign was so pretty I had to get a picture of it. 
The sign telling you which port you were at.
 One last image of the Rock with Africa behind it.
The Rock of Gibraltar as seen from Puerto Sotogrande
 I wish I could name the company for making this possible but they want to keep it confidential, but they know who they are and I would like to thank them from the bottom of my heart. . And thanks to my husband for working so hard and earning this rewards trip.  I don't know what it cost for that trip.  I do know I was one of about 20 on the yacht so if you spread it over that many it might not be that bad.  But what a trip that was!!!! I know I'll never forget it.  I'm just glad I was able to get so many pictures of it.  There was so much to see. I can't believe it was only a few hours long.  It was so hard to take it all in. I doubt I'll ever be able to do something like this again, but if I can I'll definitely do it again.  Words just can not describe the feeling you have as you sail on the water and the wind is blowing in your face and you are seeing these incredible magnificent things.  Needless to say I felt like I was in seventh heaven. 
I guess the only way I didn't see Gibraltar was from the air.  I'm just grateful there is satellite imagery and I can see it that way now. There's nothing like examining it from all around, on it and in it.  I really feel like I got a good feel for it.  I just wish I could have had more time to map it and to look at some of the rocks with a microscope. 

I muse: While we were waiting in the Marina, one of the men in our group was looking at all the boats and said wonderingly 'Are all these boats yachts?' Most responded 'I guess so'.  He then asked 'I wonder what makes a yacht a yacht?'  I couldn't help but respond 'Any boat that has a toilet on it is a luxury for me - that's a yacht.'  Someone else gave a technical definition about a boat being so long but most of the women agreed with me. We all got a good chuckle out of that.
When I got home I did look up what a yacht is: here's what Wikipedia has to say about  Yachts .

 I muse:  I wonder if a conodont study has been done on this limestone?

No comments:

Post a Comment