Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Dream Trip Spain: Barbary Macaque (monkeys) of Gibraltar

 We went to Gibraltar and did a tour of the ROCK.  Even before I had ever gotten there I had heard of the Monkeys that lived there.
Barbary Macaque of Gibraltar
Here's some information about the  Barbary_macaques_in_Gibraltar according to Wikipedia.

   Legend  has it that when the last monkey is gone from the island the British will leave the island also.  (This kidna reminded me of the Ravens at the tower of London, because they have a similar legend that if the Ravens ever leave the tower than the British Monarchy will fall.) But getting back to the Monkeys because of this legend, they are carefully watched.  We were told that they even have a veterinarian assigned to their well being and maintenance. For their well being we were told there are hefty fines for feeding them and not give them anything.  If they get sick they even have a hospital that they are taken to.  They also add that from time to time new members are introduced from Africa just to keep the gene pool diversify.  So now a days they have a very healthy and thriving community.
 
  I couldn't wait to see them.  I imagined that they would be in a zoo like setting.  Imagine my surprise when we got there and saw traffic was stopped because the moneys were making themselves right at home with the cars and buses.
Cars stopped by the Barbary Monkeys of Gilbraltar
 Then I thought it might be like other places where you could view them but had to stay in the car.  Which was fine with me.
Barbary Macaque (Monkey) making itself at home on top of a van
 But then they told us to get out.  I couldn't believe I was able to get out and walk right up to this wild monkey. I must admit they are more used to people than I expected but still this was a monkey that lived at this place.  Wouldn't you love having a view like this to look at all the time.
Barbary Macaque (monkey) of Gibraltar
 Here's another one.  A typical day at the Rock.
I should note that these monkeys let me get this close to take their pictures.  I didn't even had to zoom in on them.  It was like I was taking a picture of a friend.
 We went and did a tour of St Michael's cave and this fellow was there at the gate ready to greet us as we came out.  It was almost like he wanted to know if we had a good time in the cave.
One of the patriarchs of the Barbary Macaque clan
 I had fun taking his picture but then got quickly distracted by the kids playing on the guard rail. 
A Barbary Macaque playing on the rail
 Then I noticed momma sitting watching her kiddo intensely.  It was okay for you to watch but she really didn't want you too close to them.
One of the Matriarchs of the Barbary Macaque clan
 As I was watching them.  This bold litter fellow went and grabbed a piece of paper and started to chew on it.  Now I could understand why they warned us about giving them things. I'm sure that wasn't something very healthy for this juvenile to be chewing on.
Juvenile Barbary Macaque (monkey) of Gibraltar
 I heard some commotion and saw that this little one had joined the crowd also.  Everyone was ohing and ahing over him.  He sure was cute and knew it too.
juvenile monkey of Gibraltar

 The next thing we knew a different one jumped up on this girl.  She was really not expecting that at all.
And a couple of others jump on some other peoples heads too. 
A Barbary Macaque (Monkey) on a girls head
 She wasn't the only person those little monkeys decided to visit.  I really think this girl liked having this one come to her.
New best friends

 I was so distracted by watching and taking photos of them, that I didn't notice that a little monkey had come over to me and started to put his hands into my coat pocket and tried to get something from there.  All I had was a package of tissue paper.  I managed to keep it  but was surprised at how bold he was and was just  helping himself to whatever he wanted.  Since I wasn't giving anything to him he went on to someone else.
A monkey going up to a man
 They kept on trying to get something from this guy but he had nothing to give. 
Two Barbary Macaque (monkeys) checking out the jewelry a man was wearing
 The man got away and sat down.  
It was so funny to watch the patriarch of the monkey clan purposely come over to the man,
 sit down next to him and started to gibber to him.  It was almost like he was trying to say "my kids - they'll take everything you have.  I'm glad you didn't give them anything. Us parents have to stick together.'
The Patriarch of the Barbary Macaque having a heart to heart talk
This experience would not have been possible if it wasn't for my husband earning a rewards trip from a certain company that wants to remain anonymous.  And for that I'm extremely grateful to both my husband and  that company. It's something I'll never forget.

 I Muse:  I'm so glad I got to see these Barbary Macaques - I never thought I would have this type of opportunity to.  It's definitely worth a trip back to Gibraltar just to see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment