Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Monday, June 8, 2015

Red River Still Rising At 36.5 feet (June 7, 2015)

At first they were predicting the Red River to crest at 33 feet, then 34, but it kept on rising, and when it was over 36 feet they realized it still hasn't crested.  Now they are predicting it to crest at  37 feet with it currently being at 36.9
Here's a current chart.  I was surprised to see that the chart updates itself when there is a change.
also here's the link to it.  Red River Chart NOAA
Red River at Shreveport

Now I'm going to see if I can just get an image of it without it changing with time. Yes it's didn't change like the linked one did.


Needless to say this has been fascinating to me.  I want to check it out since its been 70 years since the last flood of this magnitude.

Here are some of the pictures I was able to get on Saturday.
 I chose this one because you could see how flat this area of town is. We were on LA 511 headed towards the Jimi Davis bridge.   But then as I looked at it I realized something else about this.

 Here's the same picture that I have cropped and enhanced.  You can see how close the water is getting to the road.  See that white stick with the orange top.  That's a TV Cable line.  Then if you look in the background you can see storage tanks for an oil/ gas well that is behind the wooden fence. So many things are going to be affected by this.  On the news they have reported that certain apartment complexes had to turn off the electricity.  That's been a real hardship because we've been having weather in the 90's.

This image was used because it shows how high the water has gotten in the exit and entrance ramps.
I was going over the Jimi Davis Bridge  511 (eastbound)  and was looking south and you can see the retaining wall working but just barely.  they've had to reinforce it at the end, as seen by the red looking dirt. 

We got off and was able to get onto the Aurthur Teague parkway.  We were only able to go a short distance before we had to turn around.  This image is looking at the Jimi Davis Bridge from the south bound lane of the Arthur Teague parkway.
 
My husband pulled over to the side.  We noticed some other people pulled over and one guy had a huge camera taking pictures.  I was looking in the direction of his camera to see what he was so focused on.  It looked like a log in the water.  Then I noticed that this log was going up current which it shouldn't be able to do since there were no eddies present. 
It then dawn upon me that that wasn't a log but an alligator.  I tried getting an image of it.  Its not the best.  I did crop it and enhanced but its still hard to see.  Look at the center bottom and see the reed, its right above that in the red waters.  If it hadn't been moving I would have missed it completely.  Makes me wonder how many other animals that were hiding that we weren't seeing.

We continued to drive down the southbound lane and could see how high the river has gotten.
I felt sorry for this land owner.  You could tell that the water had creep in from the side because the river would be behind towards the back of the image.  The house was isolated by the water. 
We turned around and headed back home.  We were now traveling north on Arthur Teague.  This was a good image of the levy for the area.  It looks like the houses in this subdivision will be okay.  I thought with the tree and fence post and roof tops, one could tell that that levy had to be at least 8-10 feet high. 
We headed west, back over the Jimi Davis bridge.  This is looking north at the Arthur Teague parkway.  The reddish water is where the alligator was and you can see how close its getting to the road.

This is what the Red River looks like.   Its easy to see why its called the Red River.

In this image, I was looking north onto Clyde Fant Parkway.  Notice all the workers and national guard working to shore up the retaining wall.  But even with all of this work water has still gone through the drainage pipes and have filled in the area around the exit ramps.
The Red River Rising on Clyde Fant Parkway as seen from the Jimi Davis Bridge LA511. (north)  6--6-2015around 1:30.
The rising Red on the northern exists of LA-511.


I thought these would be the last images I would be able to get but the next day I had a function to go to over in Bossier City.  The Jimi Davis bridge was the easiest way to get to it.  Everyone was really slowing down going over the bridge  but by the time I got my camera out it was too late to get an image so when I was coming back I had my cellphone handy and set in my camera mode so all I had to do was press the camera button.  .
These are the images I got.
 These are from the LA-511 Jimi Davis bridge looking north.  In this one you can see water has seep over the retaining wall and that they've had to build another wall in the medium of the parkway.
 Here's a slightly different angle where you can see how much work has been done in just one day.  Too bad the images weren't better.

There is one thing I would like to point out.  A lock and dam system had been built upon the Red River.  People were counting on this lock and dam system for keeping the Red river under control.  It just goes to show how much we don't know about mother nature and our ability to control things.  It reminds me so much of John McPhee's book 'The Control of Nature'.

I don't know if I'll get by the River again but if I do I'll be sure to include any photo's I may get.  I must admit I just love my cellphone and being able to get pictures just by having someone drive me in the car.
The New NOAA on 6-8-2015 @4:00  its at 37.02



No comments:

Post a Comment