Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

June 3 2015 and the Red River, Shreveport, LA

I had an errand to do downtown.  I decided to take the parkway to get there.  I had heard on the news that the Red River was high and they were expecting it to get higher.  When I drove the parkway I was absolutely astounded at the river.  I had never seen it so high.  I wanted to pull off but they had road crews working and wouldn't let you.  When I got downtown I was able to pull off in the River District area, and then later I could pull off near the Stone boat launch at the skate park.  Here's some of the images I got. of the Red River.

This first one really doesn't show the flooding but I thought it looked neat as I was walking up to see the river.
 Now with this one you can get a good sense of the flooding.  In 1990 the river flooded and part of this area went under water.  We spent 'millions' of dollars fixing it up and turning it into a park.  When they did the fixing it up they were suppose to make it so it wouldn't flood again.  So much for their planning.
 Here you can see that they did terraced it and that some of the terraces haven't gotten flooded yet.  This is looking north toward the River District in Shreveport, Louisiana.
 I'm looking south with this one.  I wanted to get the bridge in it because its a good reference point.
 This is looking just slightly more east and you can see across the river to the other side.
 I did this one because you can barely see the top of the sign which will also be another good reference point for later when I come looking after it goes down.
 I took this one because there were two herons in it.  I tried taking some video but it just didn't turn out. I would have been very neat because the heron took off and flew across my view.  I saw a log floating in the river and I was trying to get it while it floated between those rose sculptures.  From that I thought I would be able to figure out how fast the water was flowing on the banks.  At least I got these images.
Now for the pictures of the Stone boat Launch area.  In this one you can see the water almost to the walking path.
 People were taking advantage of the high water and all the fish and other wild life coming to the shallower water.  We did see some big catfish.  There was also a snake by the waters edge and a armadillo.  I couldn't get its picture before it ducked into some bushes.
 Here it is flooding the pathway. I got this because those power line poles are good reference points.
Red River Flooding the Clyde Fant Parkway sidewalk
 Here it is flooding the road to the boat launch
 Here it is on the other side of the road and the police monitoring the area.  They had barricades up and down the exits so they could close the road with a moment notice.
In 2011 I was concerned because the Red River was rising due to all the flooding with the Mississippi River.  That was the 1st time they opened the Morganza Spillway and I was feeling for those people.  Here's a link to that post.2011/05/5-15-2011-red-river     And at the time I was concerned about the boat launch but now you can't even get in the parking lot.  Now I can't even get in to get a picture from the same angle because its all under water.  Its simply amazing to see and scary. 
 I got this one because it shows the sheriffs boat house and how far the river has come up
 A slightly different angle but it had some good things in it for references. 
A couple of years ago the Red River was up and I did write about it. Here's the link to when I took the boat trip on it. http://rockhoundingaround.blogspot.com/2012/04/rocking-on-red-river.html


Tomorrow its suppose to be even higher.  I'll try to get pictures if I can but it all depends of if the roads will be open which they probably will not be.  I'm pleased I was able to get what I got.

ps I live on a bayou that feeds into the Red river.  I'm keeping a close watch on that too.  I think our house is high enough  and am praying that it stays that way.  All I know if we flood then a good portion of the city will be flooded too.  Already my hearts going out to the people that have been flooded out.  It's not an easy thing to deal with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment