Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Monday, November 11, 2013

The Buckhorn Saloon and Museum, San Antonio TX

While touring the city of San Antonio the Buckhorn Saloon (located @ 318 E. Houston Street, (210-247-4000) - http://www.buckhornmuseum.com/  ;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckhorn_Saloon_%26_Museum_%28San_Antonio%29 )was highly recommended to stop and set a spell and enjoy the ambiance of the place.  So that's what we did.

We quickly realized it was more than your typical Saloon.  It was also a museum like none other I had been too before. In reality it was more than a single museum.

 The Buckhorn Saloon:
 Here's what it looks like on the outside - kinda distinctive and hard to miss. 
 Apparently in the old days the owners were willing to take antlers and horns in exchange for a shot of whiskey since so many cowboys didn't have cash on them but they did have horns and antlers that they had found while riding the trails.
They had a guy urging you to come in. When you are greeted like that you think twice about saying no.

 When we walked in we were greeted by this strange looking bird.  That was just enough to catch our interest to go ahead and go all the way in.


This is what the bar area looks like.  We did get a bite to eat and it was delicious food too, what a place.

The Buckhorn Saloon, San Antonio TX
Every wall was covered with these heads.  It was so fascinating to see them all.

  We ordered our food and then sat down to wait for it.  Where we were sitting I had this Texas Longhorn looking at me.  It made me glad I had ordered chicken instead of the hamburger. 
 The bar was interesting to see to.  It actually was a saloon too and people were getting drinks there too.
 I must admit I did like this chandelier made from horns.


The Buckhorn Museum: 
They had Skunks to greet you too!
And Lions, and Tigers and Bears - Oh my!!
 Did I say lions?

 And Tigers?

 And Bears?

Oh my, Oh my. 
And... 



So many more wonderful things to see. 
Like animal skulls.
 And this legendary animal  - The Chupacabra http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra

 These horns were beautifully carved and were art pieces in their own right. It's hard to believe they were used to store gunpowder.   
 They even had Passenger Pigeon!!!- and extinct bird.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_pigeons

 Miniature saddles so you could see the different styles of saddles.
 And  - Bobcats.
 I'm a Bobcat fan and like seeing them so here's a different view of it.
 and hogs gone wild.
 I liked this piece of art work and when I got up close to see it.....
 I was amazed to realize that it was made from the rattles of rattlesnakes.  It took a lot of dead snakes to make this. 
 I know this isn't the best picture but this impressed my husband the most.  All these chairs were made from antlers. 
 And there were possums
 and racoons
 and mockingbirds
 and it wouldn't be Texas without Armadillos
 and Bobcats
 and cougars
 and owls.
  and Turkeys
  and hugh??? I must have gone into another room that had African animals.
 Like hippo's
 and gazelles
 and giraffes
 and falcons
 and humans, oh wait this was the passage to another room and they let you look down at them too.
 I thought this was pretty to see these  horns lined up  that was neat to see.
 Elephant skull
 Rhinoceros
 and leopards
 and hyenas
 and not sure what this was
 or this
 and zebra
 and goats
 and more antlers
 and a snow leopard
 and more skulls
 and this skull.  Can you guess what it is?
Hippopotamus skull @ Buckhorn Saloon Museum, San Antonio TX
 and theses
 and Kangaroo's
 and dingo's
And this Irish elk

And this unusual buck.
 and rattlesnakes
 and more rattlesnakes after all we are in Texas
 and wolfs
 and polar bears
 and prairie dogs
 and woodchucks
 and foxes
 and beavers
 and I'm not to sure what this was ?

 and moose
 and ringtail cat
and a prize winning caribou
 and they even had fish there too which really surprised me. 
 ?? to sure what this was - a puff fish maybe???
 and sharks
 and alligators
 and pelicans
 and parts of swordfish - no wonder it got its name like that.
 There were cute displays like this one.  Forgot what that is.
 and peacocks
 and a gorilla
 and an eagle.

They had just about anything you could think of there except I did not see any domestic cats or dogs.  I guess I was glad about that.  It was such a great experience because I could really look and see these animals up close and at different angles.

I have so much for this one I'm going to continue it on to another since the place was really 3 museums in one .

No comments:

Post a Comment