Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Friday, November 8, 2013

Bus tour of historic San Antonio Texas

My husband went to school in San Antonio but the one thing he never did was take a tour of the city.  I guess it was because he was a poor college student at the time.  Eventually he did get to see a lot of the place but never really saw all the things it had to offer.  One of the things I love to do is take tours of the city when we first get there and then from that figure out where we should go next.  It didn't take much to convince him to do the tour. We did it in an open bus and got a wonderful tour of the city- San Antonio. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio We were very fortunate to have pretty weather while we did it and I was very happy about that. 

Here are the images that I got photo's of because they were interesting to me.
One of the building you just can't miss is this one.  It seemed like everywhere I looked this one was int he background one way or another.
   It's the Tower Life Building.

We did not stay in the historical district of downtown but were more in the area of the UT. S. A. area and the Market square so that  is where it started & ended for us.  I think this was one of the building on that campus.  San Antonio has a lot of Universities and Colleges there.
 There were some unique sculptures as we drove around, especial near the campus. 

One of the factories that is still in the town.
I took this picture because I knew it had some historical significance but now I forgot what it was. It might be the Mission House??? Oh well.
Here's a better image of the Tower of Life Building.
Tower Life Building, San Antonio
I had to use this one because of the hotel that is in front.  Its a family name and it always catches my eye when I see it.
One of the many churches that are in the town.
This is Bexar County court house from the backside.  It was suspose to be built with the same type of red stones used on the state capitol building in Austin.  It's distinctive color makes it easy to spot.
Of of the main tourist attractions is the Hemisfair Park  and the convention center right next door. 
Hemisfair park is easy to locate because of the 'Tower of America' which is in it. Most people use that as a landmark to navigate the city by. 
I tried to get one of the park entrance with the tower but it just did not turn out the way I wanted it to..
This red sculpture was given to the city as a symbol of friendship.  I think it was given by Mexico but am not positive about that. It was still a pretty piece and was very distinctive.
I wasn't expecting to see a Pat O'Brien's there.  I had to get a image - u know the family thing.
We did take a long break at the Alamo and I ended up writing about the Alamo in another blog post since there was other things for it.
This was in the Alamo Plaza  too.

 And this is looking back at the Alamo Plaza.
The Alamo Cenotaph, San Antonio TX
And this is going around the block and seeing the Alamo's backside.

  I thought this building was interesting.  You could tell it was built before the depression with all the ornate stone work on it.  I think this was the main post office.
I think this was part of it too.  I just thought it was pretty.

I don't know what this was but I did like it.
The Emily Morgan Hotel is hard to miss.  It's next to the Alamo and is uniquely shaped in the flat iron style. 
Emily Morgan Hotel, San Antonio TX
This building was different. And the backside was just as interesting.  I sure would not like tho have to climb up all those stairs in the back.
backside of the Emily Morgan Hotel
I know this is a lot of pictures of one building but just look at the masonry work on this building - I thought it was so pretty.
Here's some other  building that I thought were  nice looking.

They sure do love their lone star symbol for their State.
Rivercenter Mall, San Antonio, TX
We turned down a street that was called Theater Row where the old times Theater district was.

This was over one of  them.  They just don't build theaters like that anymore.  I'm glad they are trying to preserve them so others can enjoy it to.

 Another church but what got my attention was there was a tree growing in the top of the bell tower.
 The front facing the street was interesting to see too.


 I thought this was nice to see too.

The front view of  Bexar County court house.

This is the Catholic cathedral  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_San_Fernando and the municipal plaza.
Cathedral of San Fernando, San Antonio TX & municipal plaza
A side view from the street.
Cathedral of San Fernando
This was the back view of a building - again old age is setting in and I forgot what it is.
We got back to the market place and this was across the street.  I thought it was a neat mosaic wall. 
I also liked the Market square and all the artistic places that were there.
Lastly I couldn't resist including this pretty hibiscus that was next to our hotel door.  The color was so vibrant.  Just like the city.
pink hibiscus

The Alamo & the Riverwalk were not included in this since it was already so long. and will have there own post along with some other things

No comments:

Post a Comment