Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A tour of Trinity University, San Antonio TX

My husband went to Trinity University and is a proud alumni of it. It did not surprise me he wanted to see it while we were there in the area.  I have a high schooler and  he has expressed an interest in going there.  We made sure we did stop and get the information for him and took some pictures  while we were touring the place to  show him when we got back. http://web.trinity.edu/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_University_%28Texas%29
 He said trinity is easy to find because you just look for the big red tower and aim towards that. & that's what we did.
 Here's a better view of the tower he was talking about.
Murchison Tower -Trinity University, San Antonio TX
 One of the things he remembers fondly about the place is this fountain.  It seemed like it was one of the main gathering places when he was there.  But what really confused him was it wasn't as he remembered it.  The administration building was now in front of it verses it being in front of it.  He was just glad they still had it. 
 Here's the administration building now in front of it.    One thing he always liked about the campus was all the buildings are built using the same red color brick called "Trinity Red".  He said it gave a unity to the place and made it hard to know when a building was built. 
 Here's another image of the tower and fountain.
Murchison Tower -Trinity University, San Antonio TX
 He liked the way the campus was landscaped and showed me this one area next to the church.  I thought it was really pretty the way it was done.
 He told me that the campus was built in an old abandon limestone quarry.  One summer he had to stay there so he could graduate in time and while he was there they were exploding dynamite to make holes so that they could plant some tree's since the place was nothing but solid bedrock.  To bring his point across we came across this bench which was obviously an abandoned quarry piece. You can see the drill holes used to wedge it out.  I do have a coin on the top right edge corner for scale.
 He took me over to the dorms to show me some of them that he stayed in.  Of course as we were walking he was telling me some of his more fonder memories of life in those dorms.  I on the other had was fascinated with the geology and was looking at that.  I don't get to see rock outcrops too often and loved seeing these limestone formations.
 Here you can see the dorm on top of the quarry wall.
 The best place to see the quarry wall was at their pool. 
 He loved the view he had from his room.  This was from the top of the pool area and his was pretty similar to this. 
Some day I hope to update this with more information on the formation in which the University is build on.  He did talk about the Edwards aquifer but I think that was more the source of their drinking water and wasn't the formation that was present here.
Nothing beats a solid foundation when it comes to learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment