Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Car-ride Tour Through Cleveland, Ohio

I grew up in Cleveland and my mom still lives near there.  Her husband was having some health problems and so I had to visit them and help take care of them for awhile.  One day we had to get something fixed and ended up driving through the town to get to the place.  Coming back I got my camera out since we were seeing some places I hadn't seen in over 30 years.  I wanted to have some pictures since they did play a significant role in my life.

So here's the car-ride tour I took.  (I should note that these were just select streets and is my no means all of Cleveland).

The pictures start out on the West Side of the town.  My mom used to work as a school teacher in this area and I used to love going and seeing the area.  I thought the churches were so interesting.  I used to know these churches names but now all I can remember about them was how we  call them Holy Oil cans.   I do remember that they were Greek Orthodox.
 Here's one of the schools my mom used to work at - Tremont.  She was the librarian there and in the summer time I used to come here and help here inventory and catalog the books.  It was just easier to do when there were no students around to check things out.  Every year she had to turn in a report if she wanted to get any additional books.  
 Another church I thought was pretty.  A friend of mine actually got married in this church and I was glad to finally get to see the insides of it.

 Here's what the city looks like from I-71/ 90 as you drive from west to east.  I like this one because you can see the Terminal Tower (tall center) and also the BP(to the right)  building and also Cleveland State University white tower to the very right)
 Another view of downtown Cleveland Ohio.
downtown Cleveland as seen from I-71/ 90
 I used to love to go see the Cleveland Indians play baseball, only when I went it was a different stadium.  Here's the stadium they play in now - Jacobs field.
 Here's Cleveland State as seen from I-90.
 Another view of Cleveland State University.  CSU is close to my heart because that is where I started my college career and they're the ones that made me fall in love with geology. 
 All I can say - CSU sure has changed since I went there.  When I was there the white building was being built.  Sometimes we had to have classes in it and it was awful.  The building would go on and they didn't care if you couldn't hear the instructor or not.  Not to mention the dust that was constantly being stirred up.  It amazed me that I passed any of those classes.  Most of them were liberal arts type stuff that I had to have to graduate - I guess that's another reason I like geology because those classes were all in Stillwell Hall and were part of the old Fen College campus.
Cleveland State University
 Viking Hall used to be the Holiday Inn.  I worked there for many a year and they basically paid for my education.  I spent many a hour in that building doing my job and was always grateful at what a fair employer Holiday Inn was to me. 
 This was another building I had a lot of classes in and really enjoyed it. 
 I forget what the name of this building was.  All I know the student union used to be in the basement of this building when I first got there.  Then they opened the place in the white tower.  I bought my first beer (when I was of legal age) in this building and so it will always be a special place to me. (it is also the first place I got drunk and sick in too.)  Oh the memories, some things you never forget.
 Every day I used to ride by this place and would think it was so pretty. 
 This is the area that is around the Cleveland Clinic going down Chester Ave 
 This is University Circle area.  Behind is the Cleveland Museum of Art.  I loved the Museum of Art and spent many an hour in those hollowed halls.
University Circle area, Cleveland Ohio
 This is the home of the Cleveland Symphony.  I saw my first live opera and symphony preformed here.  The acoustics were great and when they played you felt like you were in another world.  It was so uplifting and inspirational because the music would get into you and you could actually feel it.  Its something hard to describe because when you hear the same thing on the radio or on a machine it just wasn't the same where you could actually feel it.  You could hear it and enjoy it but you couldn't live it like you could the music that came from this place.
 Right across from the museums and halls is Case Western Reserve University.  My parents graduated from that college and I ended up doing graduate research there and so CWRU has a very special place in my heart with a lot of found memories there too.
 This is another place I have a lot of memories.  I wish they were found but they aren't.  My stepfather had a blood disorder and this is where he went to get treated.  The staff there was excellent and it was a very run place and it deserves high praise for the care they give. 
University Hospital, Cleveland Ohio
 Another part of the University Circle area
 A new museum that was being built.  I think its for contemporary Arts.
 We then went up Mayfield road and into Little Area.  This is the church my neighbors would sometimes like to attend.  I used to like going to it because it was so different looking from the church I would attend. 
 One of my favorite places to visit was Little Italy.  they had a bunch of restaurants there and food would always be so good. My parents like going there because that is where they had met each other at one of the festivals they had had.  It seemed like whenever we would go there we would just have a good time. 
Little Italy, Cleveland Ohio
Those are just some of the pictures I got that I thought were worth sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment