Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Who is doing Sand research in the USA?

Awhile back near the beginning of the year I came across a geology post where the person was doing sand research. I left a comment that I could get some sand from Lake Erie beach area in Madison Oh.  They said they would get back with me about it, but never did.  Since then I lost the link where I found that post and was hoping someone could help me with finding that person because I got the sand. I'm willing to send it to the person free of charge.  In August I'll be heading back that way and could get more if anyone is still interested in getting sand from that area. 
 Madison sand, left is still wet and right dry (sorry for the poor lighting, its just a point and shoot camera)

  What prompted me to comment to that post was the person was looking at the dark minerals found in sands and Lake Erie sand has a lot of dark minerals in its sand. 

Compare the dark sand from Lake Ere Ohio verses the white sand from Galveston, TX.


Two more pictures of the Galveston beach



The stuff at Galveston is a lot whiter and better sorted and would be considered barrier island sand.  Most of the sand from Lake Erie is from the glaciers that once were in the area and formed the lake. 

In case you haven't figured it out I'm on summer break and have been traveling around a bit with my family.  I'll be having some more interesting things on Galveston soon. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ann, I am interested in some of your Lake Erie, Madison, Ohio sand. I collect sand. I use my scope to check out the mineralogy. We photograph the more interesting samples and use that for educational purposes. Contact me and I'll pass on an address. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,
    Can you contact me at amowillis@yahoo.com? When I click on your name I'm not getting a connection. I'll be glad to send you some.

    ReplyDelete