Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Balloon ride in Arizona


   I went to Arizona the last week in March.  One of the most amazing things I did was to go for a balloon ride again.  I just absolutely love riding in balloons.  If you ever get a chance go, its worth it and ten times more.

    This ride was so different from the other one.  This time we were only traveling about one mile per hour while before we were going about 35 miles per hour.  The other thing was with the first ride we were going about 1000 feet above the ground.  This time we were about 400 feet.  We did get up to about 1000 feet once but did not stay at that altitude for very long.  I also notice that with this one the pilot had to do a lot more maneuvering with the levers.  I assumed it was because there wasn't much of a wind that day and that was the only we could get around.  The funny thing was once the other balloons started to land we got swept up in an air current and couldn't land with the others, and our trip ended up being longer than the others too.  I was glad that happened because I got to see some things I wouldn't have otherwise. I'm not complaining, I was just happy that I got to go longer and see that stuff. 
Inflating a balloon


It was so fun to look down upon the other balloons as they took off


We were riding in the Sonoran_Desert.  (about 33 46'40"N and 112 11' 49" W) 

Balloons taking off in the morning.


Granite Reef Aqueduct, AZ



Pyramid Peak, AZ (Sonoran Desert)
Looking at the other balloons on this trip.  The Granite Reef Aqueduct, AZ is in the background.

Balloon rising above a  hill
Balloon shadows on the desert floor



Desert drainage


 I liked this picture because you could see where it was greener along the path that the water would travel.
Looking down and seeing all the weathered rocks in the area of Dead man wash.

Looking down upon a Saguaro cactus

Balloon ride in the Sonoran desert

Balloon ride in the desert


Dead man wash area, Sonoran desert, Carefree AZ
I could understand why this area had the name it had.  It was so desolate and so little water.
Balloon ride in the Sonoran desert, AZ


Looking over Ludden Mountain to the northern suburbs of Phoenix

Looking down on the top of a balloon

Looking at the Arizona Game and Fish Dept. Headquarters
Pyramid peak in back ground, Granite Reef Aquiduct, Carefree AZ
 This picture really helped me locate where we were flying while in the balloon.  I was able to google Earth it and got the location at 33 46' 54.47" N, 112 11' 55.38" W elev 1538.  After I figured this out then I could locate other things that we saw.

 The New River and the Carefree Highway, Carefree AZ

 I really like looking at this river flood plan and the drainage pattern I saw.  It is so different from the things I'm used to seeing.
New River, Carefree AZ
 Here's another picture of the New River.  It just made me wonder why it was draining in this area. 
All good things must come to an end.  Balloons landing in the desert.
 We were trying to land in the same location when a gust of wind took us up again.  I was glad it did.  It took us north and we got to see Lake Pleasant.
Lake Pleasant, AZ
 Like the others, our trip had to end too.  I thought it was so pretty to look up into the balloon and see the top being pulled close so the hot air could escape and we could land.

I really look forward to the next balloon ride I will take.  Now I muse at where that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment