Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

IT'S NOW OFFICIALLY SPRING!!!

For weeks its been feeling like spring where I live.  I'm so glad its now officially here.
   Yesterday (3-21) while I was taking my son to his piano lesson, it was so hot in the car I had to turn on the air conditioning. Outside temperature was 82 degrees with 40% humidity, inside the car it was registering 86 degrees but felt hotter. When I turned on the A/C my son teased me, by  saying aren't you going to complain about turning the air conditioner on in winter - like you always do.  I said 'no' because its not winter anymore, IT'S OFFICIALLY SPRING.  He said 'no' that I was wrong that it wasn't until tomorrow. I informed him he was wrong, and that its today.  We went back and forth a little bit about it and finally he said 'prove it'.  I told him I would when we got home.
  When we got home I went and got an egg from the egg carton and said to my son.  'Remember last fall on Sept. 22, when at dinner, I told you guys about how you would know it was the equinox because on the equinox an egg would stand up and you didn't believe me?  He said no - so I showed him this picture to remind him.
Sept 22, 2010 Fall Equinox
  He now remembered.  It all started with a post Lockwood had posted at Outside the Interzone
that is was the fall equinox where the days are equal lengths. Here's more of what Wikipedia has to say about the Equinox   I think it was from Lockwood or someone else blog where they bet people that they can make an egg that is still raw to stand up on this day.  We tried it and my family was amazed that it worked.

  Getting back to now, we got a raw egg out and decided to try it again.  And guess what!  It  actually did stand up again.  I was surprised because I thought it might be too late for it to do it, since the equinox was officially at 23:21 March 20.  So we took a couple more pictures.
Vernal equinox 3-21-2011

Spring Equinox (3-21-2011 at 6:09 pm -CST)

Vernal equinox, looking down at the egg from directly above (3-21-2011)

Vernal equinox : 3-21-2011 @ 6:09 pm CST
    My son was not impressed that the egg stood up again.  He said, 'I bet it's just a trick and the egg can stand up like that all the time'.  I was like lets wait and see.  So this morning we tried to get the exact same  egg to stand up again. And guess what - we couldn't get it to do it.
Here's the pictures to prove it:
Trying to stand an egg up on March 22, 2011

March 22, 2011 at 7:35 am CST
As much as we tried we couldn't get the egg to stand up again.  It really did prove my point that the equinox is over and we are now into Spring and not winter.  

Seeing this egg makes me think of the Easter Bunny and dying eggs  -- another sure sign that it is Spring time.

In the mean time, I'm hungry.  I think I'll have some scrambled eggs for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment