Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

ICE FORMING ON LAKE ERIE

 At Christmas time I was able to go to the Cleveland Ohio area for a visit. I am originally from the area and still have a lot of family there. This is really rare for me since it is a busy time of year for my husbands work. This year was different for two reasons. The schools had off the week before Christmas and Christmas was on Saturday. We decided if we went the week before Christmas, my husband could still be there for the end of the year crunch.  So I drove up.
     When I go to Ohio, I like to stay at house my family owns that is on Lake Erie. Shortly before my dad got the illness, that he died from, he and my mom bought this duplex on Lake Erie in Madison Ohio for a retirement home.  My brother was to have the top part and my parents the bottom.  After my dad was gone my mom remarried and moved out, but still kept it in case she needed to move back since her new husband was in his 80's.  Since then my brother also got married and moved out too when he and his wife had children.  My mom rents out the top half to cover the expenses of it.  I come from a large family and it is hard for us to all be together at one time.  Having the extra room makes it easier for more of us to visit at the same time, thus another reason for keeping it.

I love looking at Lake Erie. The Lake is always so different every time I go and visit there.  I never know what to expect.  Sometimes it can be so still there is hardly a wave on it at all.  Then there are other times when there are constant waves like the ocean.  Sometimes they can get to be very big and nasty.  I always look forward to how the lake will be while I am there.

This is how it normally looks with some waves crashing on the shore.
Nov 15 2010 - looking to the east


But some days can be really calm and others can be really rough.
A calm day
Sunset on Lake Erie when the lake was calm and the waves small (June 2008)
vs a rough day
Sept. 30 2009 Sometimes the waves get rough
Sept 2009

This year it was so neat because while I was there it was below freezing the whole time.   I got to watch the ice form on the edges of it.  Each day I would go out and take pictures because it would change so much from day to day.  I would do it in the morning around 9-11 am so it would be around the same time each day.  This made sure I had something for everyday before I would go visit family and friends.
12-19-2010
12-20-2010 A nice thin layer has formed and no waves are noticeable






















12-23-2010;  It only got above freezing for a couple of hours but
it amazed me how the ice seem to have broken up so quickly.
My brother says it always amazed him how 'ice rafts' would
break away and be gone the next day or float in on other days.















Dec 24, 2010
!2-25-2010
The first set is looking from in the same direction to the east.  But that wasn't as spectacular as the stuff when you just looked straight out but there were no reference points and it was hard to see things.  So I'm including a variety of angles so you can get a better feel of how spectacular this stuff really was to me.


I felt like there was so much more to comprehend than just viewing the east so here are some more looking straight out to the lake or slightly to the west and to the public boat launch. But first here is a map showing where the pictures are taken.  Follow Rt 528, Madison up to the lake to the public boat launch site, symbolized by the little boat.
(These photos are taken at about 41 50' 19.53"N & 81 02' 43.00"W at an ele 583')

Delmore Atlas & Gazetter - Ohio (2010) pg 26














































































































Nov 15, 2010 Lake Eire - notice the level of the water
Nov 2008 - Note that the lake did not freeze this time.














12-19-10

12-19-10


12-20-10 Here you can see the ice raft has come in and new
ice is forming - joining the two together.
12-21-10

12-21-10

12-23-10

12-24-10

12-24-2010
12-24-2010
12-24-10
12-24-10
 
Dec. 25 2010


I'm having a lot of problems with this so its time to quit.  








No comments:

Post a Comment