Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Camden, South Carolina

My spouse had a class to take in Camden South Carolina.  He looked into flying there but found out that he would have to transfer planes twice and because of that it would take almost as much time to fly there as it would to drive there.  He decided it would be cheaper to drive plus we could visit some friends along the way.  Since it was such a long drive he didn't want to do it by himself and asked if I would be interested in going.  I really didn't have a whole lot to do and could rearrange my schedule to go with him.  I had always wanted to go there just to see the area.

    We got there and had a lovely time.  For a small place I was surprised at how much there was to see and do.  I didn't realize that the area had such a historical significance during the Revolutionary war.  It also helped that they had guides and maps of the area so that you could give yourself a self guided tour.
   This was one of the few areas that wasn't built upon the ocean front.  It was the main trade center of the back country. The reason it was a trade center is because the area has very sandy soil and it was a good place to raise horses/ & race horses.   Traders would come to the area to get new mounts.
     In May 1780 the British soldiers came to the area under the command of Lord Cornwallis after Charleston had surrendered to them.   For almost a year the area was under siege by the British and it became a major Battleground for Freedom.

 As we drove into town from I-20 we saw this sign.  I always find the National Park service sites to be extremely well done and informative.  This place was no different.
 Through out the area you could also see signs like this that were also very informative to read.  I did appreciate the way the city had so many signs to read. 



































The McCaa was used as a physician office.
The McCaa House, Camden SC
And here's what it looks like inside.  The homes hear are still being renovated.   This house was not typical architecture for this area.
I thought it ironic to have the stockades so close by.


Craven House.
Craven House, Camden SC
I've enlarged the sign in front so you can may see what it says.


Typical one room







The backside of the Craven house.  After seeing this house it makes me appreciate the home that I have.
The Craven House, Camden SC

Drakeford house

Drakeford House, Camden SC





Inside the Drakeford house there were some exhibits about life during the British occupation. 

This was the typical British solider uniform.  I had forgotten they wore red to hid the blood so it wouldn't be so obvious if they were bleeding. 



It was nice to see them including the women's role during the revolution, so often its forgotten.
This is how the palisade wall probably looked. 
In the distance you could see this house- The Kershaw-Cornwallis House. 
Kershaw-Cornwallis House, Camden SC
It look like it would be an easy walk but then you notice this ditch that ran through the field.  It was just steep and deep enough for keeping people away from the place. You could only get there by following the road. 
I did go over to this area and saw the redoubt.

Here's how it looked like if you were looking out of it.
I decided to go ahead and walk up to the Kershaw-Cornwallis house.   This is not the original building but a replica.
And from the other side.  There is a restaurant in it now but you have to have reservations to get into it.

Add caption
One of the things that they consider their mascot in Camden is this weather vain on top of the City Hall.  It is of King Haiglar.  King Haiglar was a Catawba Indian who helped the settlers when they first came to the area and has been considered its patron saint.   The weather vain was created in 1825 by J.B. Mathieu, with the original now in the Camden Archives Museum, and a replica is now on top of the city hall.
King Haiglar weather vain, Camden SC

The area still has a lot of horses.
This is a grave of a famous horse that won a lot of races in its day.
The steeplechase racetrack that is there.


After my spouse was done with the class we had the afternoon off before we had to head home.  I was able to take him to some of the sights I had already checked out and thought would be of interest to him.   He liked the place as much as I did and I could see us coming to visit this area again. Like I said before for a small place it sure did have a lot to see and do there. 

Here's some links to Camden and its history:
http://www.cityofcamden.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden,_South_Carolina

http://kershawcountychamber.org/

http://www.historic-camden.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Carolina_in_the_American_Revolution
.....

No comments:

Post a Comment