Blogging helps me share things with people. My goal is for you to see something that brings a smile to you.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Crepe Myrtle

   When I walk I notice that certain blooms fade away but yet there is always something else just as beautiful to observe.  Right now the Crepe Myrtles are starting to really become spectacular  plants to observe.  The thing about Crepe Myrtles is it seems to me if the plant gets plenty of sunlight it blooms early and more at the same time. Less sunlight it still blooms but not as prolifically as others that get the light.  Here's some more information on  Crepe Myrtles  from Wikipedia. 
  In my neighborhood there are two trees that really caught my attention lately:
Watermelon color Crepe Myrtle

 Here's a close up of the Watermelon color Crepe Myrtle.  Isn't it spectacular.

 And this is the other medium pink tree that caught my attention.  It's not quite to the peak as the other one but it is still just as beautiful.  Just give it a couple more days.


What amazes me so much about them is the fact that there is such a variety of colors one can see. Other amazing things with Crepe Myrtles is that with some of them the color changes with time or they have more more than one shade of color in the same area of the branch or tree. 

 Here's two different color trees next to each other showing how they can vary in color.

A lot of people like the white ones around here.

Same tree with a close up of a branch in bloom.




But I like the ones with a hint of pink in them better when looking at them from a distance like this one below.

 Here's another bush with just a hint of pink to it.
 And here's another closeup of one of its branches.  If you really look at this one you can see the different colors on this same plant. 


I do have a tenancy to like the ones with pink in them more.


 Or the ones with more red in them like this one.

 Sometimes they can get to be really vibrant red like this one below.
 Sometimes they come in purple or yellow color too.  I couldn't find a yellow one, but I have seen them blooming but I did find this purplish one that was in bloom.

Because Crepe Myrtles blooms so long a lot of people like to use them for hedges or border bushes.  Some can come in small sizes and other can grow to be quite big.  I couldn't find a big one in bloom but here are some small ones.

Here's the Crepe Myrtle that I have planted in my back yard.  They are Party pink in color.  I was told these were bushes and I guess in a way they are because the blooms go from the ground up.  I was also told that they would get to be 6 to 8 feet high at most.  The fence that is behind them is 6' and as you can see they tower over that fence.  I don't complain too much because they are wonderful to look at when they are in full bloom. 

One of the things that concerns me so much is the fact that the Crepe Myrtle is already in full bloom on some trees.  I don't recall trees being in full bloom this early in the year. I usually expect it more toward the end of June.  We have had 98 degree weather and that is unusual too.  (I guess I'm posting these things on my blog so I can keep track of it and next year see when things blooms and compare the timing of the two.  Global warming maybe a factor here.)

Now I'm just going to muse about when they will be in full bloom at my home.  With my luck it will probably be when I'm out of town on vacation.   

(7-6-2011) Its about a month later and here are some pictures of my blooming crepe myrtles in my back yard.  They are not as pretty as they have been in the past.  We've had a couple of severe thunderstorms and the winds have blown the buds off of the plant in places.  I still enjoy them anyway.

 This is what I see when I look out the back door.
  Here's some when you are closer looking up at them.

 
 Looking from a different view.  This is what my neighbors see when they walk by my house.
 And even closer.  I love the shade of pink that they are.
 
 Even closer yet. Notice the variation in colors making them fascinating to look at.  No wonder they are called "Party Pink". 
 And closer yet.



PS people who enjoy these trees blooming might also enjoy these two other blogs on blooming trees, Japanese (Mulan) Magnolia tree 
and Magnolia tree blooming
That's it for now, have a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment